Before buying a laptop, you need to identify what all requirements does your laptop need to cater. You need to decide what screen size do you want, which operating system you will prefer. There are also some additional features you need to consider.
- Touchscreen – Do you want your laptop to be touchscreen enabled? Touchscreen enabled laptops may be costlier by a few hundred dollars.
- Solid state drive - Most new computers come with traditional hard disk drives that offer enormous amounts of storage. If you’re looking for the speediest storage, get a solid state drive. These drives are smaller but much faster, allowing your computer to turn on in mere seconds. They are generally more expensive than their hard drive counterparts.
- DVD or Blu-Ray drive - Do you want a DVD or Blu-ray drive?
- Graphics card - If you plan on playing video games on your laptop, make sure it has a dedicated video card. Unlike a desktop computer, you cannot upgrade a laptop’s graphics card later. Be sure your laptop has a dedicated graphics card if you think you’ll want it later.
- USB and other ports - Be sure to count how many USB and other ports are on the laptop. You’ll need USB ports to connect a separate mouse, memory sticks, smartphones, and many other peripherals. You may also want an SD card slot to more easily transfer your camera photos, or an HDMI port to connect your laptop to an HDTV.
- Battery life - If you plan on using your laptop while you’re out and about, be sure to check how long the battery is rated to last. Many big, powerful laptops only last for a couple of hours on a single battery charge, while some smaller laptops can last over seven hours on a full charge.
According to usage laptops can be divided into following categories:
Lightweight laptops are becoming extremely popular these days. Sometimes referred to as ultraportable or ultrathin, the lightweight laptop is twice the size of a netbook, yet it still feels light and easy to carry. Its lightweight lets you carry it anywhere you go. These laptops are best fit for frequent travelers as these laptops are a perfect balance of performance and portability. These models are pretty fast for most types of work and have a mid-size screen that’s comfortable to work on. Most even have built-in DVD burners. For a device that’s always out and about, the risks for potential damages are greater.
That’s why these portable laptops are made with the most durable materials; strong enough to withstand constant motion, possible drops and accidental hits.
Following are some of the best lightweight laptops.
- Samsung Chromebook (Wi-Fi, 11.6-Inch)
- Apple MacBook Air MD231LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop (NEWEST VERSION)
- Samsung Series 5 550 Chromebook (Wi-Fi)
- ASUS VivoBook S400CA-DH51T 14-Inch Touch Ultrabook
- ASUS VivoBook X202E-DH31T 11.6-Inch Touch Laptop
These laptops are also called midsize or mainstream laptops. These laptops fall into the broad middle in terms of weight, screen size, technology, and price. These laptops are not very companion for travels but they are good enough to so almost any task. They are bit heavier than lightweight laptops and battery life too is shorter. These mid-size laptops are often very affordable and offer more options for hardware and features than smaller laptops, yet they’re more portable than desktop replacement models. These laptops are great for everyday use, students, and users requiring better performance than ultraportables can offer.
Following are some of the best midsize laptops.
- Apple MacBook Pro ME665LL/A 15.4-Inch Laptop with Retina Display (NEWEST VERSION)
- Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 59359557 15″i7-3820QM 2.7GHz 16GB 1.12TB SSD/HDD Dual NVIDIA 650M 2GB FullHD W8
- ASUS UX51Vz-DH71 15.6-Inch Laptop
- Acer M5-481PT-6644 Touchscreen Ultrabook 3rd Generation Intel i5-3337U (2.7GHz w/ Turbo Boost) 6GB 500GB + 20GB SSD 14-inch HD CineCrystal LED-backlit display DVD+/-RW WebCam Bluetooth HDMI Windows 8
- HP SPECTRE XT TouchSmart 15-4010nr 15.6-Inch Ultrabook
These laptops deliver a full PC experience. they offer a comfortable keyboard, big storage space, a huge screen and great system memory. The stereo speakers in these laptops are loud and rich, plus you’ll find exciting emerging mobile technology such as Intel Wireless Display, which lets you play your laptop’s picture on your big-screen HDTV without wires. With all these features, a desktop replacement is too large for comfortable travel, and battery life too is not very long. These bigger, heavier laptops with large screens (16 inches and above) can incorporate powerful hardware you won’t find in smaller, lighter models. Most of these laptops are as powerful as a desktop PC.
Following are some of the best desktop replacement laptops.
- Samsung Series 7 Gamer NP700G7C-S01US 17.3-Inch Laptop
- Origin EON17-SLX
- Maingear Nomad 17
- Digital Storm X17
- Toshiba Qosmio X875-Q7390 17.3-Inch 3D Laptop
Built for Business
These days business world is becoming more and more challenging. Business people need to travel a lot and still need to stay connected on the go. So there are laptops specifically designed for business travelers, these laptops are called business laptops. A business laptop needs to be fast, durable and long lasting. Its battery should ideally let you work for one whole day. Despite it being larger and harder to transport than other devices, the business laptop remains one of the most important pieces of technology for the business traveler. Storing documents, presentations, emails and media files, while also providing access to the web at all times, is critically important. A business laptop should also have several input and output options; preparing a presentation only to find out that your laptop doesn’t have an HDMI port can prove problematic, and you don’t want to show your presentation to a potential client on a tiny screen. A business laptop must have a good processor, have long battery life and must be wi-fi enabled.
Following are some of the best business laptops.
- HP ENVY dv7t-7300 Quad Edition Notebook PC
- Dell XPS 15-L521X i7-3612QM 2.10GHz – 16GB – 1TB HDD + 128GB SSD – Blu-Ray – Nvidia GeForce GT 640M 2GB video – 15.6-inch (1920×1080)
- Samsung Series 7 NP700Z3A-S06US 14-Inch Laptop
- HP Folio 13-1020US 13.3-Inch Ultrabook
- Dell Latitude 6430U 469-3885 14 LED Ultrabook Intel Core i5-3427U 1.80 GHz 8GB DDR3 256GB SSD Intel HD Graphics 4000 Windows 7 Professional
With more and more advancements in technology, laptops can fulfill multiple entertainment needs. There lots of laptops available which are specifically designed for entertainment purposes such as play movies, music, playing games etc. These media-centric laptops can serve as the center of your digital-entertainment world while also helping you get things done in style. Thanks to their awesome built-in speakers with sound enhancement technologies and Blu-ray™ player you’ll be able to enjoy all of your movies on-the-go. They offer beautiful screens and large hard drives so you can easily store your digital entertainment files.